Forums » General Pantheon Discussion

Thoughts about the recent Newsletter

• 79 posts
    February 15, 2016 7:06 AM PST

I'm actually glad to hear pre-alpha and alpha testing will likely be time locked and focused on testing specific features or events. That's what testing is. It also means if something is clearly a bad implementation, there is time to change it rather than seeing it for the first time with 1,000 other people in a "beta" that is actually just an early-release client.

• 2130 posts
    February 15, 2016 7:40 AM PST

internalprime8 said:

I'm actually glad to hear pre-alpha and alpha testing will likely be time locked and focused on testing specific features or events. That's what testing is. It also means if something is clearly a bad implementation, there is time to change it rather than seeing it for the first time with 1,000 other people in a "beta" that is actually just an early-release client.

Couldn't agree more. Selling "beta" as glorified early access to the full game is a scourge on the genre right now. Beta is supposed to be about testing and receiving meaningful feeback from your playerbase.

• 610 posts
    February 15, 2016 8:15 AM PST

Liav said:

internalprime8 said:

Couldn't agree more. Selling "beta" as glorified early access to the full game is a scourge on the genre right now. Beta is supposed to be about testing and receiving meaningful feeback from your playerbase.

Couldnt agree more

• VR Staff
    • 587 posts
    February 15, 2016 3:37 PM PST

Kazingathi said:

Thanks for the update "Dune" glad to read some more info of what's going on. Guessing most are like me with no real good games to get into and dieing to get into Pantheon. I know it's a small team and you are trying to bust out lots of new content and I can probably say for all of us keep up the good work. Like all here with the 2 months of not a lot of info we expected something big (which with your info on this thread it is), it was a little disheartening to see the cleric ( I love clerics don't get me wrong, your heals I love) we just expected more which we shouldn't. Maybe good plan going forward is to say we are going to reveal a class or race or some special ability or multiple. Though we still might complain atleast our expections can be takin out of the equasion.

As I said before thanks to the team and everyone here with out you all we couldn't have the making of this game. Thanks again "Dune" for the update!

In 20/20 hindsight, I should have addressed the general state of the game in my intro to the newsletter and then moved to talk about classes.  My bad.  From now on I will always do that.

• 311 posts
    February 15, 2016 5:15 PM PST

Aradune said:

Kazingathi said:

Thanks for the update "Dune" glad to read some more info of what's going on. Guessing most are like me with no real good games to get into and dieing to get into Pantheon. I know it's a small team and you are trying to bust out lots of new content and I can probably say for all of us keep up the good work. Like all here with the 2 months of not a lot of info we expected something big (which with your info on this thread it is), it was a little disheartening to see the cleric ( I love clerics don't get me wrong, your heals I love) we just expected more which we shouldn't. Maybe good plan going forward is to say we are going to reveal a class or race or some special ability or multiple. Though we still might complain atleast our expections can be takin out of the equasion.

As I said before thanks to the team and everyone here with out you all we couldn't have the making of this game. Thanks again "Dune" for the update!

In 20/20 hindsight, I should have addressed the general state of the game in my intro to the newsletter and then moved to talk about classes.  My bad.  From now on I will always do that.

It's all good part of it was our expectation and I'm glad to hear that will will get the general state of the game. Keep up the good work and don't worry we are all learning on the go here. I would still rather have the game even if you didn't give us any info. I'm very glad to get the info we do get thanks Dune and team.

• 1095 posts
    February 15, 2016 6:34 PM PST

Aradune said:

Its not too late :)

• 124 posts
    March 24, 2016 4:19 PM PDT

Aradune said:

The core systems will be there for pre-alpha.  The version 1 of these systems need to be there so you guys can test them, help us debug, and provide feedback.  We also need to make sure there is enough content before bringing in pre-alpha and alpha outside players.   Also for pre-alpha, it is likely that the servers will not alwyas be up; rather, we'll bring you in when we need you to focus test in a given area.  Truly being able to login and play whenever you want as long as you want probably won't happen until beta 1.  

Remember our pre-alpha, alpha, and beta testing are not 'early access' gimmicks.  We will need you to test specific aspects of the game, the game as a whole, stabilitiy, etc., and your feedback will be essential if we are going to launch a great game. 

Aradune, do you believe you will have your own installer/gui to get testing done or do you see it coming more in the form of Steam platform?

Think the Steam platform would make it easier for releasing updates and not having to program all that goes into user access gui and downloading files, etc, but I'm no programmer :)

Edit: think I found my answer here from Brad and feel overjoyed :)

"Early testing is not like Steam Early Access, where you are paying basically for the priveledge to play early.  That's not what we're after here.  We need people who really want to help make Pantheon incredible, who will work hard, who will give us good feedback, and who are willing to do focus testing, which can often involve repetition and can often be quite boring. "

https://www.pantheonmmo.com/content/forums/topic/2258/when-is-alpha

This post was edited by Nuemcy at March 25, 2016 10:58 AM PDT
    • 1778 posts
    March 24, 2016 5:19 PM PDT
    I know a lot of people use it. But I hate steam. Please either dont use it or let me have the option of not using it.
    • 563 posts
    March 24, 2016 5:30 PM PDT

Amsai said: I know a lot of people use it. But I hate steam. Please either dont use it or let me have the option of not using it.

I feel the same way especially when it comes to mmo's. I admit I use steam occasionally because I can get some games pretty cheap but I really dont like using it. I really hope they have their own launcher.

• 1468 posts
    March 25, 2016 5:29 AM PDT

The vast majority of my games collection is on Steam these days. I did find a box of old game CDs and DVDs in the loft though with about 30 odd games from about 2000 - 2005. Brings back memories. Unfortunately most of them don't work these days so I have to wait until they get released on GOG (which is another awesome games platform).

Plus I have my friends list on Steam as well. So I'm going to go against the tide and say I'd really like Steam distribution. I understand if you can't do that for various reasons but as far as I am concerned it would be pretty sweet.

• 1778 posts
    March 25, 2016 6:18 AM PDT
    Well Its not like I want to hate it. But it feels clunky to use. But most importantly, I have never had one game (and Ive downloaded plenty) that wasnt glitchy or require some crazy work around to work right in steam. And if there was a non-steam option it just works right from the start. So Im just saying please give me a non steam option.

Just as an FYI. Im not singling out Steam. This seems to be a problem with multiple game services including but not limited too Microsoft and Playstations Networks as well. Downloaded and played a PSN game not 2 weeks ago that had a critical glitch and the only way I could not have my PS4 blue screen was to skip a chunk of CS. So I think the problem seems to be universal with these type services. Meaning ultimately Id rather just have a direct launcher and preferably a box copy.
    • 2138 posts
    March 25, 2016 6:26 AM PDT

Call me old-fashioned, but I like the visceral experience of buying and holding the box- reading into the cover art- and like a present at christmas; opening and loading the game/software.

• 1468 posts
    March 25, 2016 6:34 AM PDT

Amsai said: Well Its not like I want to hate it. But it feels clunky to use. But most importantly, I have never had one game (and Ive downloaded plenty) that wasnt glitchy or require some crazy work around to work right in steam. And if there was a non-steam option it just works right from the start. So Im just saying please give me a non steam option. Just as an FYI. Im not singling out Steam. This seems to be a problem with multiple game services including but not limited too Microsoft and Playstations Networks as well. Downloaded and played a PSN game not 2 weeks ago that had a critical glitch and the only way I could not have my PS4 blue screen was to skip a chunk of CS. So I think the problem seems to be universal with these type services. Meaning ultimately Id rather just have a direct launcher and preferably a box copy.

Strange. I've been using Steam since 2004 and have never had any problems like those that you describe. I have over 130 games in my Steam library and they all seem to work pretty much perfectly.

• 1778 posts
    March 25, 2016 6:57 AM PDT
    Well Im not the only one but I realize there are plenty of folks that dont have issues with steam. I dont claim to understand it. My brother doesnt have these issues with steam. Its probably my PC build but it works great for direct downloads and box copies.

• 71 posts
    March 25, 2016 7:04 AM PDT

Manouk said:

Call me old-fashioned, but I like the visceral experience of buying and holding the box- reading into the cover art- and like a present at christmas; opening and loading the game/software.

Same here. When I first bought EQ I travelled around the World a lot for work. I broguht the game box and discs with me on the road :)

• 124 posts
    March 25, 2016 7:12 AM PDT

I'm pretty certain that it costs a lot of money in order to produce a game CD and all the materials or else having to have resources available for pushing out client utility files and hosting server(s).

Utilizing steam platform would be a cost benefit that I think, IMHO only, would make it smarter and wiser to take adavantage of.

The only problems I've ever had with any game on these platforms (Steam or GOG) was that the game was to old and had no work around to play well enough on newer OS/hardware and wasn't not unforseen.

This post was edited by Nuemcy at March 25, 2016 10:59 AM PDT
    • 71 posts
    March 25, 2016 8:33 AM PDT

Just my personal opinion, but I cannot stand Steam. Have always hated it. Why do I need to load and run some clunky software just to play/manage my game? I get some people like it for.. who knows why, but I really hope there is a standalone client/patcher.

The only reason I ever tolerated it before was for OG Counterstrike way back in the day.

• 769 posts
    March 25, 2016 8:36 AM PDT

I'm showing my aptitude (Or lack of) with technology here, but ...Where is this newsletter? I can't seem to find it.

-Tralyan

• 124 posts
    March 25, 2016 11:01 AM PDT

Latest March Newsletter can be found here : http://us3.campaign-archive1.com/?u=4eb4247692251348b2d00e6ab&id=20a6cf2972&e=287cecec6b

The one referenced by OP, February, is here : http://us3.campaign-archive1.com/?u=4eb4247692251348b2d00e6ab&id=91d788724a&e=7e98b8a3fc

This post was edited by Nuemcy at March 25, 2016 11:07 AM PDT